What You Can Do to Stay Healthy and Fit.
You may have noticed a lot of talks lately that a growing number of kids are overweight. A person who is overweight has more body fat than is healthy. Being overweight can make it harder to get around and can lead to health problems like heart disease and diabetes, even in kids. Experts today feel that many people are eating too many unhealthy foods, and not being active enough to stay fit and at a healthy weight. Every person’s body is different and there are many things that can affect how much a person weighs, so it is always best to check with your doctor to see if your weight is healthy for you.
There are a lot of things that you can do to stay healthy and fit. The two most important things you can do are:
- Eat the recommended amount and type of foods that your body needs, and
- Get plenty of physical activity every day. Â Talk to your parents and caregivers about creating healthy habits that work for you.
Healthy Habits for Everybody:
- Make half your grains whole
- Vary your veggies: eat more colors
- Focus on fruits: eat a variety every day
- Go lean with protein: choose low-fat and lean
- Get your calcium-rich foods: go low-fat or fat-free
- Fats and sugars know your limits:
- Limit solid fats as well as foods that contain them
- Choose foods & beverages low in added sugars
- Find your balance between food and fun: move more
- Aim for at least 60 minutes every day or most days